Thannal Natural Building School’s half yearly 10-day course is planned for people who want intense learning in natural materials, techniques and processes through hands-on work (1:1 scale) on our project. Every aspect of Natural Building from foundation, wall systems, roofs, flooring and finishes is practiced and grasped. Basics know-how of every ingredient used like different types of mud, lime, bamboo, herbal mixes and natural gums is explained. Participants are made familiar with how to identify different properties of material, source it, prepare it and different technique of using it. Various treatments for natural materials for termite resistance and how to repair mud structures is also covered.
Enhanced with Rural Study through site visits to indigenous & contemporary mud buildings. Inferences from such experiences can strengthen your confidence in building with Natural Materials.
Observe and learn from wide range of experimentation done in our campus:
• The Singing Dervish Studio, using cob.
• Earth bag studio.
• Learning Center, using Cob, Adobe, Wattle & Daub.
• Water tanks made with Mud and Lime.
• Sensing Natural living.
Aspects of Natural Building explored:
• Lime preparation and usage.
• Different forms of stabilization and admixtures.
• Treatments using native plant and animal derivatives.
• Natural gums.
• Alternative energy in building using solar panels.
• Grey water management using Natural filtration.
Participation is limited to 15-20 participants and will be on a first come first serve manner. We are seeking participants with all levels of experience. Most importantly, applicants should have enthusiasm, a deep willingness to learn, an appreciation for working with their hands and a good attitude!
Thannal, Tiruvannamalai, Tamilnadu – 606603.
Nearest Railway Stations: Thiruvannamalai, Kattpadi and Villupuram.
Nearest Airport: Chennai, Banglore.
We will be suggesting various guest houses near to site, where inquires can be made by the participants for accommodation. Accommodation is not included in workshop fee.
The workshop fee is Rs.25500/- (Indians) and USD 495/- (foreign nationals) which includes lunch and excludes accommodation and site visit’s travel expenses.
Prepare for the day:
Please see below links for details of things to carry and other matters of concern.
If you want to cancel your reservation before 15 days before workshop, we will refund you remaining amount after reducing taxes, if we are able to fill the vacancy with a replacement. Otherwise we will refund you 50% amount paid. You can also retain the amount as credit with us and use for our future workshops.
• It is fine (we encourage) to bring your kids (below 15 years) along with you. Let them play with mud.
• We don't entertain non participants at workshop site during workshop hours, unless it is unavoidable (please let us know in advance).
• Do respect privacy of others when you go visit any nearby sites.
• Participants are advised to get their own head gears and gloves.
• The itinerary is subjective to change as per the site conditions and local weather.
• For queries: <email@example.com>
• Workshop Videos : CEPT 10 days Winter School Workshop : https://vimeo.com/250551626
Mud Age: https://vimeo/15757236
Introduction To Natural Building_______________________(Theory)
Introduction To Materials_____________________________(Theory)
Earth – Sampling/Testing_____________________________(Prototype)
Lime – Cycle/Slaking/Bagging_________________________(Prototype)
Bamboo/Wood – Treatment___________________________(Hands On)
Wattle And Daub__________________________________(Hands On)
Lintels and Beams__________________________________(Prototype)
Sculptures & Murals________________________________(Hands On)
Mud Plaster________________________________________(Hands On)
Lime Plaster_______________________________________(Hands On)
Mud + Lime Plaster_________________________________(Hands On)
Flooring Methods and Treatment_______________________(Prototype)
Alternative energy in building using solar panels___________(Prototype)
Grey water management using Natural filtration___________(Prototype)
Rural Study – Indigenous And Contemporary Mud Buildings_____(Site Visit)
Presentation On Natural Building-
People And Places__________________________________________(Theory)