The workshop will be a 2-day (11th - 12th August 2018) hand on course focusing on Natural building: techniques and materials. It will be held mostly on 2nd weekend of every month at the foot hill of Arunachala, Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu. It is open for all regardless of their age and profession.
Participation is limited to 15-20 participants and will be on a first come first serve manner. We are seeking participants with all levels of experience. Most importantly, applicants should have enthusiasm, a deep willingness to learn, an appreciation for working with their hands and a good attitude!
Thannal, Tiruvannamalai, Tamilnadu – 606603.
Nearest Railway Stations: Thiruvannamalai, Kattpadi and Villupuram.
Nearest Airport: Chennai, Banglore.
We will be suggesting various guest houses near to site, where inquires can be made by the participants for accommodation. Accommodation is not included in workshop fee.
The workshop fee is Rs.7000/- (Indians) and USD 115/- (foreign nationals) which includes lunch and excludes accommodation and site visit’s travel expenses.
We function in a manner in which all our studies, documentations, travels and researches are funded with the money from workshops, not from any external funds, sponsorships and fellowships. Projects are done on a gift culture, without any consultation fee, which are the results of our studies of Indian Traditional Natural Building techniques. We expect people who want to learn from us understand this situation and kindly not ask for discounts in our study programmes. As we do not have any scholarship available right now, you can find a sponsor for yourself to study with us (you will be supporting us this way).
Prepare for the day:
Please see below links for details of things to carry and other matters of concern.
If you want to cancel your reservation before 15 days before workshop, we will refund you remaining amount after reducing taxes, if we are able to fill the vacancy with a replacement. Otherwise we will refund you 50% amount paid. You can also retain the amount as credit with us and use for our future workshops.
Introduction To Natural Building (Theory)
Introduction To Materials (Theory)
Earth – Sampling/Testing (Prototype)
Lime – Cycle/Slaking/Bagging (Prototype)
Bamboo/Wood – Treatment (Prototype)
Foundation (Hands On)
Wall Systems :
Cob (Hands On)
Wattle And Daub (Hands On)
Adobe (Hands On)
CSMB (Hands On)
Mud Plaster (Prototype)
Lime Plaster (Prototype)
Mud + Lime Plaster (Prototype)
Presentation On Natural
Building-People,Roofing, Flooring (Theory)
Alternative Energy (Solar electricity) &
Grey water natural treatment. (Theory)
• This workshop is open to all profession and age group.
• It is fine (we encourage) to bring your kids (below 15 years) along with you. Let them play with mud.
• We don't entertain non participants at workshop site during workshop hours, unless it is unavoidable (please let us know in advance).
• Do respect privacy of others when you go visit any nearby sites.
• Participants are advised to get their own head gears and gloves.
• After payment, kindly fill up the form so that we can know you & help better.
• The itinerary is subjective to change as per the site conditions and local weather.
• The Itinerary is subjective to change as per the site conditions and weather conditions.
• For queries: Mobile Akhil - 8698804066
• For workshop updates : http://thannal.com/natural-buildings-workshops/
• Workshop Videos : CEPT Winter School Workshop : https://vimeo.com/250551626 Mud Age: https://vimeo/15757236