Charlie was only 35-days old when he was rushed to the emergency section of CUPA (Compassion Unlimited Plus Action) by a driver who ran over him. He was bleeding profusely. Doctors had little hope of keeping him alive. He was losing blood and his hind-leg was completely destroyed.
Charlie looked at them with hope in his eyes. He wanted to live.
That look kept the doctors from putting him to sleep. They decided to amputate his hind leg and help him recuperate.
- 0.1 Charlie, the three-legged dog, went on to become a canine therapist. He worked with specially-abled children, mainly autistic, for over 10 years. He is the name and the inspiration behind CARE.
- 1 CARE – Charlie’s Animal Rescue Centre
- 2 The Night Ambulance Service – one of CARE’s many initiatives
- 2.1 So, what’s it going to take to get the Night Ambulance running?
- 2.2 CARE is looking for:
- 2.3 How much does an animal rescue ambulance cost?
- 2.4 How CARE uses Instamojo to collect donations
- 2.5 The 5-year relationship between CARE and Instamojo
- 126.96.36.199 “Instamojo is one of the best things that happened to CARE. It has provided an easy and smooth payment gateway in our website for people to donate to our cause. We installed Instamojo about a year ago and there was no looking back. Our donors have appreciated the fact that donating has been made very easy. This has definitely helped us garner more funds.” – Sudha
Charlie, the three-legged dog, went on to become a canine therapist. He worked with specially-abled children, mainly autistic, for over 10 years. He is the name and the inspiration behind CARE.
CARE – Charlie’s Animal Rescue Centre
Charlie’s Animal Rescue Centre is an initiative started by Sudha Narayan and her super-efficient team of animal lovers. The centre, located in Bangalore actively rescues over 100 strays every day. The team have rescued kittens stranded on fences and dogs from barbed wire leashes.
CARE started four years ago by a group of five animal lovers. It all began when the biggest shelter in Bangalore was shut down due to unavoidable reasons leaving a huge void in the city for animals in distress.
TRIGGER WARNING – Graphic video of an injured animal
The Night Ambulance Service – one of CARE’s many initiatives
To rescue helpless, stray animals like Charlie, the guys at CARE – Charlie’s Animal Rescue Center want to start a night ambulance service in Bangalore.
Today, Stumpy, a street pup that lost her tail to a tumour, carries Charlie’s legacy on. She is a canine therapist just like Charlie. Stumpy understands the language of love and communicates it better than any human can. It’s only fair that we reciprocate such great love!
There was just no place that an injured or abandoned animal could go to, where it could spend time recuperating and recovering and in some cases rehabilitating.
Sudha S Narayanan, the trustee of CARE, has been in the pet-care industry for over 20 years. She hopes to bring about a change in the way distressed animals are treated. The Night Ambulance is an ingenious way to bring about the change.
“The one thing we felt that was lacking in Bangalore city is a night ambulance service for animals in distress. Most accidents happen at night and rescuers and animal welfare workers are often in a spot as to how to pick up an accident case at night and where to take it for timely medical aid to save its life,” Sudha Narayan
“Chances of saving the animals’ life would improve considerably,if we have a night help line and a van with immediate basic first aid facilities. We felt that this is a necessity for the city now and a priority,” she added.
So, what’s it going to take to get the Night Ambulance running?
CARE is looking for:
- A Maruti Eeco Van that fits a table to restrain and examine the dog, give it fluids, life-saving injections, oxygen facility etc.
- A driver to take distress calls
- A vet and an attendee trained to provide immediate aid to the animal.
How much does an animal rescue ambulance cost?
- Maruti Eeco Van – Rs. 4 Lakh
- Modification of interiors – Rs.1 Lakh
How CARE uses Instamojo to collect donations
It was tough for CARE to start up on their own. In the initial days, Sudha and her sister Chitra pooled in their own resources along with Wg Commander (Retd) A.T.Lingaraj, Megha Vijay, Mrs Mallika Menon and Dr Lohith, one of Bangalore’s most successful and compassionate veterinarians.
“We pooled in our resources and took up a vacant site on rent. It started with just one building housing ten dogs and now it has grown to a full-fledged facility housing over 100 dogs, 30 cats and kittens, guinea pigs, two ducks etc. On an average CARE gives medical aid to over 250 animals a month,” Sudha explains.
“I have worked for the last 28 years with animals in distress and the things I have seen can make me cry. Yet, while undergoing unimaginable pain and suffering, animals do not retaliate or lash out. They smother their suffering indignity and appeal to us for help!”
The 5-year relationship between CARE and Instamojo
Every animal at CARE has a story worth sharing. Charlie is the beginning of all these stories, the very inspiration behind CARE. When Sudha and her canine team wanted help with setting up an online payment gateway to streamline donations, Instamojo was their first choice.
“Instamojo is one of the best things that happened to CARE. It has provided an easy and smooth payment gateway in our website for people to donate to our cause. We installed Instamojo about a year ago and there was no looking back. Our donors have appreciated the fact that donating has been made very easy. This has definitely helped us garner more funds.” – Sudha
If you feel guilty or sad every time you see a stray or stranded puppy, all you need to do is donate to CARE. Their super-efficient team spreads across the city and they go too far lengths to help save animals.
Therefore, you can be a part of this cause, in just two steps:
- Click on the button below.
- Donate to CARE’s feeding and rescue programs
Let’s save the city by saving them. Let us CARE.