The UIDAI has made it easier for you to update Aadhaar Card online. In a few steps, you can update all your Aadhaar Online, and this guide shows you how.
The Aadhaar program was introduced in 2009. Since then, a lot has changed for you – you may have gotten married (changed surnames), moved to a different city or locality or even lost/changed your mobile number.
If you want to update Aadhaar card online, from the comfort of your home, here’s what you need:
- A working internet connection
- A laptop/desktop
- A scanner/scanning app like Camscanner
Eligibility for Aadhar Card
Yes, you can renew Aadhar card if:
- You are an Indian citizen
- You are an NRI (Non-Resident Indian) who lived in India for more than 182 days.
Updating your Aadhar Card Online:
How to Change Your Address on Aadhaar Card Online:
- Head over to the UID portal and login with your Aadhaar number.
- You will receive an OTP (One Time Password). You will be redirected to the data page upon entering the OTP.
- Select the data you want to update and enter your current residential information.
- If you need to update your address, you must furnish the address proof that carries your name and address.
- Choose your BPO
- Submit your request and a URN (Update Request Number) gets generated.
How to Update or Correct Aadhaar Card Details Online:
- To update your name, you need Proof of Identity(PoI) Documents Containing Name and Photo.
- An Aadhar executive registers the updated request.
- You need to pay Rs. 25 to change your name in your Aadhar card.
How to Change Date of Birth in Aadhaar Card Online:
- This requires supported proof of Date of Birth.
- Enter your details in DDMMYYYY format. Keep in mind you can update your Date of Birth only once. Once the date is verified, it cannot be changed.
- Upload the original, scanned copies of your documents.
- Submit the request and note down the URN (Update Request Number) for future reference.
Here’s a helpful tutorial by the UIDAI to help you update Address for Aadhar card:
How to Update Mobile Number in Aadhar Card Online:
Login to the UID Portal and select mobile number to update your phone.
If you have lost your phone number or want to add a new phone number, the process is slightly different. Here is what you can do:
- To update it via post, download this form.
- Enter your Aadhaar Card number, name and address as mentioned in the card. (All in CAPS)
- In the Mobile section, fill in your new number.
- Attach some proof of identity with the form and sign it. You can also put your thumb impression on it.
- Double-check information and send it over to the below address:
You can also head over to your nearest Aadhaar Center and update your mobile number in person. Locate your nearest Aadhaar centre here.
Do not present documents to change email ID or gender.
Just log in to the UID portal, make preferred changes and hit submit. Use the URN to track your update. It will take a minimum of 7 to 10 days to reflect the changes.
Why Update The Aadhaar Card?
Updating your Aadhaar card is important because the card could replace your regular debit or credit cards very soon.
The Aadhaar Enabled Payments System (AEPS) is currently in its initial stages. You can use your Aadhaar card to authorize payments that will require your biometrics – fingerprint and Iris scan.
The Aadhar card helped pave the way for digital payments in India. Aadhar card moved India towards the cashless economy we are today.
Want to find out the simplest way for your business to go cashless? Try Instamojo’s Android App, the simplest way to get paid on the go!