The Ministry of Textiles has launched an eCommerce portal -Indiahandmade where artisans and weavers can register and start selling their products to customers directly. PM Narendra Modi took to Twitter recently to promote this newly launched portal.
— Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) April 24, 2023
The Indian handicraft industry has always had a difficult time getting new customers and making a livelihood with it. Especially rural artisans and weavers. The Government of India is now trying to fix the issue. And the solution is marvellous.
What is the eCommerce portal IndiaHandmade and how to register as a seller? Read on for a simple explainer.
What is IndiaHandmade?
The IndiaHandmade is an eCommerce platform created by the Ministry of Textiles of India. The main goal of this platform is to highlight the traditional crafts of rural artisans and weavers.
The finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman had announced PM Vishwakarma Kaushal Samman Yojana (PM-VIKAS) to help train small artisans and craftsmen on the quality, scale and reach. Staying true to this promise made during the Union Budget speech, this initiative will help empower artisans financially and socially.
How will IndiaHandmade help artisans?
- Through this platform, the artisans can showcase their unique skills and products
- Consumers can directly buy from the artisans while bypassing intermediaries
- The platform does not charge commissions, and the artists earn a fair price
- There are logistics integrated so that the artisans don’t have to worry about shipping
- This will help promote and preserve India’s rich cultural heritage while supporting the livelihoods of its rural communities
“With the help of this virtual Indian store, the artisans will get remunerated fairly with no middlemen to manipulate prices and city-dwelling urban Indians will get access to 100 per cent authentic & best handcrafts products emerging straight from the heart of India,” – PIB release
What can you sell on the eCommerce portal IndiaHandmade?
The textiles ministry in a statement on Monday said the portal will provide products from more than 35 Lakh handloom weavers and 27 lakh handicraft artisans directly to the consumers.
The portal currently offers clothing, home decor, jewellery, accessories, and other products handmade by skilled artisans.
How to start selling on IndiaHandmade?
Do you also want another distribution channel for your handmade products? This portal would be perfect for you.
Here are the steps to register on the IndiaHandmade portal as a seller:
- Important – You need to register your business with the Ministry of Textiles first to get a Handloom/Handicraft/Pehchan Id here.
- Once you have the ID, visit the website for IndiaHandmade here.
- Before filling out your details, have these documents ready for a smoother process:
- ID Proof (Pehchan ID)
- Bank Account Details
- Here is a complete Standard Operating Procedure released by the Government to help with the entire form.
Start selling handmade products on Instamojo
Want a simple and more effective way of selling handmade products directly to consumers? Try out Instamojo online stores.
- You can create your own online store in under 5 minutes.
- It requires ZERO set-up costs.
- You can pass on the transaction fee to your customers as convenience fees.
- You can fully customise your own online store without having to learn to code at all
- Handmade products have been the highest-selling products on Instamojo
Here are some #VocalForLocal handmade stores on Instamojo. Discover the pride of selling a product that has been made with your blood sweat and tears.
Discover the magic yourself.