People want their homes to be a reflection of their personalities. And they will go to any extent to find the perfect items to decorate and furnish their house.
In this blog, you will learn about everything you need to know on how to sell home decor online and start a successful eCommerce business. You’ll learn about challenges to overcome, setting up a home decor business online, and marketing your business.
We have also compiled some popular home decor stores you can take inspiration from.
If you have an eye for detail and an affinity for aesthetics, this is your sign to start the business you’ve always dreamed of!
- 1 Is home decor a good business?
- 2 Current challenges for starting a home decor eCommerce
- 3 How to start a successful home decor business online in India
- 4 How to create an online store and sell home decor products online
- 5 Market your home decor business online
- 6 Top home decor stores on Instamojo to take inspiration from
Is home decor a good business?
After the pandemic lockdown, more people want to make their living arrangements more liveable and work-friendly. As a result, the demand for home decor products online increased significantly.
A report shows that the home decor market in India will reach $27 billion by 2022. Hence, this is a profitable business to be in right now.
Another benefit of starting a home decor business is its high-profit margin. You can keep your profit margins at least 20-25%. Also, you have a wide variety of niches to choose from when it comes to selling home decor online.
Current challenges for starting a home decor eCommerce
Here are some challenges faced by home decor businesses online and their solutions.
1. Difficulty in understanding the product
It can be difficult to showcase your products’ quality and other details on a virtual platform, unlike in brick-and-mortar stores. You need to educate online shoppers about your home decor products in the best way possible.
For this, the solution is to how to build customer trust with the best product content:
- Feature high-quality images or videos that showcase your furniture and home decor products from all angles. Write good product descriptions that clearly state the dimensions, materials, and colour of the items.
- Encourage your customers to leave product reviews on your website. Also, ask them to include images.
To create an easy shopping experience for your customers, you need to choose an eCommerce platform that understands these needs.
2. Shopping for home decor online doesn’t feel personal
Online shoppers expect to get a personalised shopping experience online. Many online businesses fail to implement personalisation, which makes them lose out on returning customers. So, you should make your customers feel that their preferences and needs are understood.
- Use chatbots (chat widgets) on your online store to better understand shoppers and answer their queries quickly.
- Provide personalised product recommendations throughout the buyer journey. Suggest products that will appeal to each individual shopper based on the items they interact with on your online store.
These customer engagement features (chat widgets, WhatsApp Bot) are available on Instamojo premium online stores. They act like a virtual sales person for your potential customers.
Get started for free and explore your dream online store!
3. Shipping home decor products
Many online businesses struggle with logistics and eCommerce shipping products. Doing this at scale and then finding a delivery partner for timely deliveries can be time-consuming.
To overcome this challenge, find a suitable shipping partner for your home decor business. On the Instamojo eCommerce platform, you can partner with some of the leading courier services in India.
How to start a successful home decor business online in India
Here are 5 easy steps to start selling home decor online:
- Pick a home decor niche
- Source your products
- Create an online store to sell home decor
- Setup social media for your business
- Market your home decor online
Now that you have decided to start a home decor business online, let’s walk you through the procedure that we’ve seen successful businesses follow:
- Before starting your business
- Creating an online home decor store
- Marketing your online home decor business
Before starting your online home decor store
1. Pick your niche
You have the option to sell different kinds of home decor products online. But we would recommend keeping your efforts streamlined by focusing on one niche. Some of the most popular home decor categories are wall art, lamps, and kitchen utensils.
To find the niche to sell in, identify a category you’re truly passionate about. And, you can always add or change categories to your home decor store as you start to understand consumers, their interests, and what really sells.
2. Source home decor products
You can create your own range of home decor products and sell them online. Other than this, you can source them from manufacturers.
It’s essential to have tie-ups with manufacturers who are adept in manufacturing and supplying specific home decor product lines. As an online business, you should also have reliable local suppliers.
3. Prepare your product visuals
Home decor is a highly visual niche. So, you need to be prepared with high-quality product images. Home decors are very personal and require a lot of effort to be put into visuals and support. You can either hire a photographer for the job or get them done yourself.
Start an online home decor store
Selling home decor on your own eCommerce website is the best way to do business in 2022 and beyond. And, it only takes a few minutes to sign up for a free version & create an online store free on Instamojo.
How to create an online store and sell home decor products online
Having a full-fledged eCommerce website will help build trust with your potential customers. You can provide customers with a good shopping experience with high-quality product visuals, personalised shopping, secure payment methods, and more.
Here are some links to get you started:
- How to set up a free store on Instamojo
- How to add products on Instamojo online store
- Sign up for a free online store
- Top eCommerce website themes for your store
Watch this short video to know more about setting up your free online store:
2. Set up payments modes
Most customers are reluctant to shop in online stores where their preferred payment modes are not available. So, make sure that your online store offers a broad set of options – UPI, bank transfer, credit and debit cards, and cash-on-delivery.
Here are some resources to get you started:
- How to use Smart Links custom fields and discount codes for sellers
- The importance of offering cash on delivery on Instamojo online store
3. Partner with delivery service providers
Packaging and shipping are some of the most challenging aspects of the home decor business. Having a reliable shipping partner will take off much of the burden. Here are some resources for eCommerce shipping:
- Shipping guide for eCommerce businesses in India: the complete guide
- Top 5 affordable shipping service providers in India
Market your home decor business online
1. Set up social media handles
Once your online store is live, it’s time to put yourself out there and the best way to do it is social media.
Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest are the best platforms to market home decor products. Here are some resources that can help you with setting up and growing your business on social media.
- How to set up social media for small businesses – A complete guide
- Top 5 social media analytics tools for small businesses
- How to sell on Pinterest – tips and guides
2. Optimise for search engines
Bring increased traffic to your online store by targeting the right keywords and optimising your product pages, product descriptions, and images to rank for the high intent searches.
Here are some resources to help you get started with SEO for your eCommerce store:
- How to use the power of SEO to drive traffic to your store
- How to optimise images for SEO on your online store
Top home decor stores on Instamojo to take inspiration from
To inspire you to turn your home decor business idea into reality, here are a few amazing online stores on Instamojo!
1. The KeyBunch
An online store that sells vintage items such as candlesticks, sign boards, coasters, and other home decor items.
2. Little Heaven Decor
Little Heaven Decor sells pieces of home fabrics such as bedsheets and kitchen towels that are as adorable as their brand name.
3. The Upper Room
The Upper Room store is an oasis of colours, patterns, and textures — a leading brand in selling home textile products. They have a collection of uniquely handcrafted products.
4. Reaa Home Planner
A full fledged home decor brand, Reaa Home Planner offers interior designing services along with selling decoration items.
It’s the right time to start a home decor business online!
Now that you know all the details of how to sell home decor online, it’s time to take action! Follow the above steps to stay ahead of the game and start a successful home decor business online.
If you are someone who is selling home decor on social media platforms, the next step is to start selling on your online store. You need a platform where you can make customers understand the quality of your products and give them a personalised shopping experience.
With Instamojo, starting an eCommerce store and managing it is easy!
Get started for free today and take your first step in following your passion!